Stress and anxiety left unchecked can be the main cause of many diseases in our body. Stress symptoms can already be affecting your health, even though you might not realize it. You may think illness is to blame for that irritating headache, your frequent insomnia, or your decreased productivity at work. But stress may be the cause.
Massage, when done by a trained professional, evokes feelings of deep relaxation and reduces stress and anxiety. The benefits of massage are achieved by decreasing levels of cortisol and increased activity of the parasympathetic nervous system, which acts automatically to calm the body and brain during stress. Studies have shown that massage is effective for reducing pain associated with different medical problems, including fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis, as well as enhancing the body’s immune response by increasing the activity of natural killer cells. Stress is considered a risk factor for many chronic diseases and can make your symptoms worse. Massage will help to lower stress levels. There are other simple ways to reduce daily stress.
• Exercise-walking or bike riding.
• Eating a well-balanced diet that includes lots of fruits and vegetables.
• Learning to so “no” when there’s just no time in your busy schedule to cram in another commitment.
• Meditation is an excellent stress reducer and can be done by simply learning to breathe properly and listening to your breath.
• Perhaps sitting still for a few moments with prayer beads or a lit candle and just being with your own thoughts can slow down your world.
• Cuddling and laughing with someone you love.
• Listening to soothing music.
• Getting enough sleep at night.
Take time for you! The benefits of doing so are tremendous.
Here at Nature’s Touch, our clients’ health and happiness is our top priority. We hope that talking about issues such as stress management and in the last issue, cardiovascular health, will encourage or inspire you to practice positive lifestyle choices.
Massage therapy is a simple, drug-free, and non-invasive treatment that could change your life!
Please follow us on social media, visit our website or call for hours of operation and questions!