For more than 30 years, the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) have declined to give any public health statement regarding the neurotoxic risks of “silver” dental mercury amalgam fillings. The American Dental Association (ADA), as well as the FDA, still allow these fillings as a “safe” choice. As a result, the average person has eight “silver” or mercury amalgam fillings. So why should you be concerned about the risks of mercury fillings? Your overall health.
Over the past few decades, more and more research has been done on this subject. An article I came across stated that the FDA/ADA position did not make sense. The ADA still says it is safe to use mercury or silver fillings. That’s something I’ve always wondered about since the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) considers old mercury fillings that have been removed from the body toxic waste that has to be disposed as such. The author states,” Let me put this another way. It’s apparently all right to put mercury fillings in your mouth, but not to throw them out in the garbage!” Dr. Tom McGuire, author of “The Poison in your Teeth,” states that there are as many as 100 medical symptoms related to mercury poisoning. Many major organ systems can be affected as well as mental and emotional symptoms.
My practice is centered on taking a holistic and biological approach to diagnosis and treatment in dentistry. For close to 35 years, I have seen these fillings create so many issues beyond the toxicity aspect. They can cause teeth to fracture, possibly losing the tooth. The decay under the old fillings always amazes me. There are so many better healthy alternatives. A consultation on your mercury fillings can be the start of a path towards better oral health and better overall health.