Learning to stretch your dollars can ease stress and give you more bang for your buck. Here are a few ways you can maximize your budget:
• Understand how your health plan works. You need to know what is and what is not covered and which providers and facilities to use to get the most cost-effective care.
• Use in-network providers. Participating providers generally charge discounted rates for plan members. When you go to a non-participating, you could pay two to three times more for your care!
• Look into freestanding surgical and diagnostic centers. Freestanding diagnostic centers tend to charge less for certain tests like MRIs, CAT scans, X-rays, and bone density scans. Most insurance plans will show a cost comparison online of these centers versus a traditional hospital.
• The Emergency Room is for emergencies. If you need medical care when your regular doctor is not available, consider an urgent care, freestanding clinic, or a telehealth visit. Save those emergency room copays for more than the sniffles.
• Check for programs and discounts from your employer or health plan. Insurance companies usually have some wellness incentive and disease management programs that accompany your benefits.
• Live a healthy lifestyle. Healthy habits like exercising regularly, eating well and not smoking can increase your stamina, improve your mood and lower your risk for certain diseases. Aside from the physical and psychological benefits, healthy living can also offer financial rewards, such as lower premiums for non-smokers and fewer doctor visits for those with low blood pressure.
AUI helps businesses and families find the right insurance benefits and help them understand how to use them. Contact AUI for a no-cost evaluation to learn more.